By Davalynn Spencer @davalynnspencer
How often do our New Year’s Resolutions involve denying ourselves something in order to improve our life?
- Stop over-eating.
- Stop smoking.
- Give up sugar.
- Don’t criticize my spouse/siblings/in-laws.
These are admirable aspirations and well worth our efforts. But typically, such resolutions fall by the wayside after a few days or weeks. Okay, hours.
Maybe if we added something to our routines rather than taking something away, we’d see better results. Some people might add things like:
- Learn a foreign language.
- Learn to paint (not just my fingernails)
- Take up crocheting, knitting, golf.
- Go to the gym.
- Get up earlier to go to the gym.
- Scratch the gym – walk instead.
- Buy a cool outfit so I look good walking.
Fun ideas, but most likely short-lived, except for number 7.
This year I have three recommendations that I guarantee will impact your life.
- Read a verse, passage, or chapter of the Bible every day. I prefer mornings, before the world comes knocking at my door.
- Pray every day. Pray throughout the day. You don’t have to bow your head or close your eyes (especially if you’re driving or pushing a shopping cart), just talk to God. The more we talk (and listen) to Him, the better we get to know Him.
- Listen to worship music every day. Have it playing in the background in your home. Tune in when you’re driving. There is something soothing and filling about worship music, and our technologically advanced society provides access to various avenues of listening. Many people have music going non-stop to fill the empty spaces in their lives. Why not fill those spaces with music that uplifts and sets the mind on positive attitudes rather than on discouragement, agitation, or frustration?
These three simple practices have made a huge difference in my life when it comes to peace, strength for difficult times, and the calmness of mind to think through a challenge.
I worry less, I am reminded of what our God can do, and my faith grows. My focus shifts from what is going wrong in the world around me to what God is doing.
Troubled times are nothing new, but my response to them can be.
These three simple steps will change you from the inside out, and in turn, change your life and your outlook.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
Once over the ridge that bordered the Rafter-H on the southwest, the high park opened up like a mountain prairie, and Doc took easy to the level, grassy land. Cale’s mind opened as well. His thoughts didn’t crowd each other but spread out like grazing cattle with room to roam. And the Lord Himself seemed to ride herd on those thoughts, turning one this way and another that.
A heavy sigh rolled out, and Cale’s gaze ran along the distant line of jagged peaks. “I could sure use some help, Lord.”
Doc swiveled his ears at the low prayer.
“With my brother and his hard-edged ways. The cattle and whatever’s gettin’ after them.
“With Ella.” Her name slipped out on a whisper with a rope attached and dallied to his heart. ~ A Change of Scenery
Inspirational Western Romance – where the hero is heroic.FREE book and Newsletter!
(c) 2021 Davalynn Spencer, all rights reserved.
#WesternRomance #ChristianFiction #FreeBook #HistoricalRomance #CowboyRomance